All sub-tasks must have one of the following statuses to allow parent issue transitions

laurence bascle June 18, 2014

I am trying to use the default JIRA conditions so that a story cannot be transitioned to 'in progress' unless *at least one* task is in progress. however i have the impression the default condition "All sub-tasks must have one of the following statuses to allow parent issue transitions" means that *all* tasks must meet that criteria, which is stupid, as you will never have all tasks in the same status, and you do not want for example to artificially drag all your tasks to 'in progress' when you're only working on one.

am i misunderstanding something? thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2014

You are understanding it correctly. It's not a condition that says "one or more sub-tasks must have a status", it really does mean "all the sub tasks must be in the status listed"

It's not stupid - it's just aimed at a different use-case from from what you want. (For example, I don't want to let a story be closed unless all the sub-tasks are closed, resolved, or written-off)

ok thanks, i take it then i would need an additional plugin to write an 'at least one' condition?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2014

I think so - I've not seen a condition that does that yet, although it's worth a look in the marketplace to see if anyone has already written it.

Bear in mind that you can't install addons in OnDemand though.

Indeed :( I used to use JIRA Workflow Toolbox with another company and really liked it, but now I am on Demand here i feel a bit exposed. thanks for your help!

0 votes
Shaun Grose August 15, 2019

Is there no way Out-of-box solution to this yet?

All I want is to stop someone moving a story to 'In Progress' if none of its sub-tasks have moved out of 'To-Do'. Requiring *all* the sub-tasks to have started is pretty pointless.

Nirmani Kalakheti
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2020

@Shaun Grose , What about using Conditions or Validator

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Conditioned Workflow Functions for JIRA's Conditioned validator would be able to handle the query and conditioning for this use case, but only for download right now. OnDemand support is a ways off - vote for CW-18.

Suggest an answer