Agile for upgrade from 6 to 8

Ian Mellor August 19, 2019

We are evaluating jumping to a self hosted v8 from a self hosted v6. We have been using v6 since 2013 and have many projects managed by a variety of people. Having done the upgade through 7 to 8 everything is work OK. We've enabled the apps we were using - tempo and timetracker - but can't seem to get into the agile boards. The menu item has gone. 

I've added all the permissions under the sun to my user including "Manage Sprints". I think I've somehow got to make me a "manage sprints" user for all projects....but that is going to take me forever, and then I've got to do it for the other managers. I think I've got to do this because my old board query is too loose....but I can't get at the sprint query without a board. 

I've spent about 2 hours trying to work out how to enable this - following the instructions at  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-938847165.html - but get stuck at the "you'll need to manually set users to have this permission for all projects".

Is there any way we can apply the user/role to all projects using any magic? Is there any way I can edit the board query with magic? I'm quite happy diving into the config files or the database if needed.

Ta

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ian Mellor August 22, 2019

We were using an expired v6 licence. With a new trial licence everything worked

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hello Ian,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to define what users are related to which roles on all projects at once, but you add your Admin group to the "Manage Sprints" permissions directly in the permission scheme, so all your admins will have this permission on all the projects related to that scheme.

To directly access the permissions scheme, you can navigate to JIRA settings > Issues > Permission Schemes.

That being said, I must say that I have not fully understood what is the problem you are facing in fact. Why are you trying to get all your admins to have the Manage Sprint permission specifically, since it is only related to the ability to start/complete Sprints or schedule issues in the board?

You mentioned that you are not being able to get into the agile boards. Are the boards of your projects not displaying when you navigate to them? Could you provide us with more details and any screenshot displaying the problem you are seeing?

We will be waiting for more details to help.

Ian Mellor August 21, 2019

Hi Petter,

Thanks for the response.

We can't see any boards anywhere in the new version. In v6 "Agile" was in the menu bar between "Issues" and "Tempo". 

After upgrading I simply can't find the equivalent functionality in the latest version. No boards appear on any projects. 

Reading the various articles on where it had gone I assumed it was a permissions problem. We have a fairly small setup with just 10 users, 2 of which (including me) administrate everything, but with 3 different users owning all the projects (I own about 70 out of 140). However, I don't want to do a lengthy process touching every project as this is just an evaluation stage so I'll need to do it again, and I'm not certain that the problem is permissions.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/boards-in-the-new-jira-experience

"If you own boards independent of projects, we have moved them into a new Your boards page. To find these boards, select your avatar and choose Your boards."

I don't have "Your Boards" in the list.

Fixed now. I generated a new trial licence key for "Jira Software" and Boards have magically appeared

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2019

Thank you for sharing your solution, Ian.

Have a nice day!

Suggest an answer