Agile board in Plan Mode - how to show 'Remaining' alongside 'Estimate'

johnnybaloney September 8, 2014

Hi,

Is it possible to enable 'Remaining' column in the Plan Mode of an agile board?

Every time we plan a sprint we find it painful that we have to click on every issue in order to see how much time remains on a particular ticket. Just as in the picture below the highlighted ticket shows 4 days estimate, which we don't care that much any more. Instead we would like to see the remaining time on the ticket, which in this case is 2 days. This is particularly useful when we decide which tickets to kick out of the sprint when we go over the available capacity for the sprint.

Thanks

jira-plan-remaining-column.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SanaS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

Short answer is: No. Not in default Jira/Agile.

Long answer is: It could be done, either as a plugin, or perhaps with some creative (Groovy) scripting. This may take a few hours to days depending on how it is implemented and how badly you want it. smile

Patrick Sittinger January 27, 2015

Dear Sana,

but how to plan the next sprint when open stories with remaining estimates still exist? How does Atlassian solve this issue. In real world, there are often stories that are still open after sprint completion and need to become complete in the next sprint.

Thanks 

SanaS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2015

Dear Patrick, what happens in Jira Agile when you close a sprint with unfinished issues is that they get sent back to the top of the backlog. I'm not sure if it's relevant to this question, or am I missing something?

Peter Harris August 9, 2015

I think the point is how are you supposed the plan them. The "original estimate" which is what is shows on the planning board is no longer accurate, as a significant chunk of the work has been done. You could "lie" and change the original estimate as part of re-planning, but they you lose some of the useful "estimate vs reality" metrics which product managers like to track ;)

Peter Harris August 9, 2015

(If it isn't clear I'd also like this as a feature ;)

Wolfgang Reh August 16, 2016

One year and still no solution to this problem?
I want to second Peter Harris and would like that as a feature too!

Suggest an answer