Agile board column status sort not respected

Jensen Somers June 11, 2015

I have an agile board with multiple columns. The last column contains multiple statuses. I need multiple statuses in that column because my burndown chart depends on it.

The filtering query used is: 

project = "MyProject" ORDER BY Rank ASC

I specified an order for the statuses on the board configuration screen as follows:

1. Ready for Acceptance Testing
  2. In Acceptance Testing
  3. Done
  4. Closed

However, on my board, the order is displayed as follows:

1. Done
  2. Closed
  3. Ready for Acceptance Testing
  4. In Acceptance Testing

Thus, the order which I specified on the column configuration screen is not respected. It seems to take into account the rank, but not the issue status.

To illustrate I attached screenshots of the board configuration, and the board usage.

1.png 2.png

This is a bit annoying, since developers tend do drag the issue from one column to another, but don't check which status the issue should get and drop it into the first status box, which marks the issue as Done. And that's not what I want.

I don't know whether restrictions on status changes would solve this, but I was under the assumption that ordering the statuses in the column configuration would group them.

Is this a bug, or intended behavior or is there something else I must do to achieve this?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2015

That doesn't sound right at all.  However, could you check the board config - you've talked here about "status", but that's not the same as "board columns".  Could you show us the board column definition screen?

I've edited my initial question to include two pictures. One for the board configuration, one were I use the board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2015

Oh, I see, it's not the column order that's the problem, it's the order in which the status appear within the column. I misunderstood the question. That's not something you can change I'm afraid. I suspect the order of status is simply the status id in the database. Resolved and closed being default system status, they've got very low numbers - 1 to 6 ish, whereas all the custom status start at 10,000 and climb from there when you add new ones.

That would be a bummer. :( Basically, I have a sprint board which includes all those statuses, but my development burndown should only be measured until it's in my Ready For Acceptance status. However, if I don't include those following statuses on my board, the ticket "vanishes" from the board and the resulting burndown and number of tickets don't match.

Suggest an answer