Agile Board showing instead of Project

Mykenna Cepek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2017

Some months ago I created a new Agile Board that includes multiple Projects. Here's the board filter:

project in (proj1, proj2, proj3, proj4, proj9) AND status != Closed ORDER BY Rank ASC

Pretty straighforward.

Recently folks have had difficulty navigating to the Project view for these projects. They are shown the Agile Board instead of the Project screens. I've also noticed this with multi-project boards created by others (it's not just my board).

To reproduce:

• Pick two projects that are not on any multi-project Agile Board in your system already. Confirm that you can see the Project (Sprint view and Backlog view specifically) using the Projects menu in JIRA for those two projects.
  • Create a new Agile Board, starting the filter query with "project in (proj1, proj2) ...". Share the filter with "logged in users". Save that Agile Board.
  • Try again to navigate to either of those projects using the Projects menu in JIRA. The new Agile Board will take over, and you won't be able to see the Project screens for Sprint or Backlog view.
  • Optionally check with a non-admin JIRA user to confirm this behavior.
  • Delete the Agile Board so that you don't annoy your coworkers.

This is a problem because these multi-project Agile Boards should be independent of the individual products. My job scope includes 4 projects, but not all 9 projects in this Board. The result is that the other 5 projects cannot see their Project view any more, JIRA routes them instead to my Agile Board.

I've read plenty here that reinforces that "Boards are independent of Projects". I've scoured my Board settings and don't see anything that would cause this.

Is this some known "feature" of JIRA? It feels like a bug to me.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steven de Groot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2017

Hi Mykenna,

Currently the behaviour of the "project view" page is that it'll show the last board accessed that contains the project. There is no option that we're aware of that can change this behaviour. An improvement request had been filed as seen here:

I encourage you to vote on the feature request ticket to increase its popularity and add yourself as a watcher to be kept informed of progress going forward. For more details on how Atlassian handles and prioritizes new feature requests, please refer to the Implementation of New Features Policy: https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/implementation-of-new-features-policy-201294576.html

Regards,

Steven

Mykenna Cepek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2018

Voted and watching! Thank you for the reply.

Suggest an answer