Agile Board - Planning at Epic level?

Tony Laycock May 13, 2014

The Agile Board - Plan mode is great for short term planning (e.g. a couple of sprints ahead).

However, we would also like to use it for medium term planning (e.g. predicting the rough scope for a whole, several month release)

The problem is that we typically don't have a story level decomposition that far ahead; we only have the Epic issues (though with story points). So far, I've not found a way to include the Epic issues on the planning board directly. Is this possible? Is there another approach that would work?

1 answer

1 vote
Anna Cardino
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2014

Hi Tony,

I believe that this is currently not possible in JIRA. Hence, the Epic panel was introduced.

However, I came across to a feature request describing the functionality that you need. For your reference, please see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6945.

I would suggest that you do the following on the ticket:

* Vote, so that it will receive more attention

* Watch it, so that you will receive any and all updates

* Comment, and give your opinion on the matter

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Monique

Tony Laycock May 21, 2014

Thanks for the reply Monique.

The issue link did indeed describe what I am looking for. Unfortunately it was marked as 'Resolved' with a 'No plans to implement' comment so nobody is able to vote for it anymore.

I would be interested to hear the rationale for not implementing it or a suggested workaround.

Suggest an answer