After installing the Gantt-Chart plugin, I can't enable the Gantt-Chart for my projects

Oliver Wahler August 13, 2012

Hi,

We just installed the Gantt-Chart-Plugin for evaluation purposes. The installation process went smooth and basically the plugin looks installed successfully, however we can't enable the plugin on our projects.

When going to the Administration Screen of a project, I see the Gantt-Chart-Tab. Clicking on it takes me to the project specific Gantt chart configuration page ("Gantt-Chart config for this project"; see attached). But: The page does not let me enable the project. All settings are display only.

My first thought: The "Permissions to configure Gantt-Charts on Project-Tab-Panels" as shown in your configuration video is not or inaccurately set.

So I went to: Administration > Plugins > Gantt-Charts and wanted to configure these permissions but was a bit surprised to see no configuration option. The "Gantt-Chart Global Configurations" just shows the following tabs: Customfields, Dependencies, Re-scheduling, Global look and feel, Calendar, Gantt-Chart License, Lab. (experimental)

Should there be a "Permissions to configure Gantt-Charts on Project-Tab-Panels" (or similar) tab?

Is there another place, which I couldn't find yet to configure these permissions?

Am I on the completely wrong track and the "Permissions to configure Gantt-Charts on Project-Tab-Panels" isn't causing me being unable to enable Gantt-Charts?

Here is some environment info:

JIRA version 5.0.3

Gantt-Chart Plugin Version: 2.0.1

Time tracking and issue linking are enabled

License Status: Valid commercial evaluation license (from August 13, 2012)

A side note: We installed and activated the plugin successfully yesterday (project enablement was working), but needed to temporarily de-install it today, after which we re-installed it again the same way, we did before.

Thanks and regards,

Oliver

3 answers

2 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Hi Oliver,

please download the latest pre-release, currently unpublished on the Marketplace, as part of my early-adapter-program (EAP) from my server:

As project administrator but not system administrator, you were not able to modify the project's Gantt settings.
I have changed that in pre-v.2.0.2/2.1.1.
The following extension are available as well:
- just shift start or end date and keep the other (modify gantt bar's duration) via extended move action
- link to/from versions, e.g. in multi-project environment (v1.4 of proj.A as well as v2.1 of proj.B linked to task "interface testing" within in separate test-project); prerequisite: version must have start/end-date being set via Greenhopper
- availablity of using all four standard Gantt-dependency types: FS (default), FF, SF and SS
- a new customfield "Gantt-Chart" of type "Gantt Bar" for being used within JIRA's Issue Navigator: add a new column displaying this customfield to display an integrated Gantt-Chart

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at frank@polscheit.de

Regards,
Frank
Oliver Wahler August 14, 2012

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I rely on my team for plugin installations via the file system and they are all out on a public holiday today (while I would love to take a look at the plugin today) :-)

This brings me to one thing, which I would like to clarify: When I was trying to activate the Gantt-Chart, I tried with users having "JIRA System Administrator" permissions (not only being Project admin). Shouldn't that allow me to activate the plugin even in version 2.0.1?

Plus: I remember it working fine with the same user(s) before we re-installed the plugin yesterday.

Thanks,

Oliver

Oliver Wahler August 19, 2012

Hi Frank,

As we saw 2.0.2 released, we just updated to that version. Basically, it looks as if it works and I am able to configure the plugin as a project administrator.

However, I am not able to configure it being both a project admin and a system admin or if being just a system admin. Is this expected behaviour?

In order to server our users, we would require to configure the plugin per project with a system admin user.

Cheers,

Oliver

1 vote
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2012

Hi Oliver,

I have tested this, using the default project roles as shown below and put myself (admin = system administrator) into the project role "Administrators" additionally.

Then, I open the Gantt-Chart Tab for project's configuration and I can change the values:

In order to help, can you provide me with related screenshot at frank@polscheit.de for further analysis?

Regards,
Frank

0 votes
ConstantinQ August 23, 2012

Hi

I'm having the same problem, after installing JIRA Gantt-Chart Plugin (evaluation licence) I can't enable it for any project.

In the project administration / Gantt-Chart config the buttons to modify are missing.

Environment info:

JIRA version: 5.1.1

Gantt-Chart Plugin Version 2.1.1

Thanks for help.

Regards

Constantin

Suggest an answer