After install JIRA in my local , it can't be started.

xin xin June 5, 2014

Today , I install JIRA in my local , after installed ,JIRA can't be started.

And I can't see any log print to log files.

I saw in the document says:

"having CATALINA_HOME defined in another tomcat installation will make installation a pain"

but I have deleted CATALINA_HOME before I install JIRA.

It very strange.How can I check what cause the JIRA can't started?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2014

Well, basically, it's still "look at the log files". Jira and Tomcat are attempting to write them, and the only time you won't get a log file is if you've seriously damaged your Tomcat installation. Even then, when you run the startup, it will tell you "I can't even write to a log file because...." and then terminate.

Start with how you are starting the system. What script do you run? If you're using a service, then step away from that for now, go find the Jira installation and just run the startup script in the /bin directory - that will tell you about any critical statup failures (like can't create log etc). If that works, then you WILL be getting a catalina.out file with further errors in it.

I think you might have misunderstood the document by the way. It tells you that you do not want to *define* Catalina_home before running Jira as it might confuse it (if you've got other systems using Tomcat on a box, then it might have been defined by them). I's a variable saying "Hey, Tomcat, use this directory as a home". It does NOT say "delete the home directory" (and if you've done that, you might need to reinstall...)

Suggest an answer