After install JIRA in my local , it can't be started.

Today , I install JIRA in my local , after installed ,JIRA can't be started.

And I can't see any log print to log files.

I saw in the document says:

"having CATALINA_HOME defined in another tomcat installation will make installation a pain"

but I have deleted CATALINA_HOME before I install JIRA.

It very strange.How can I check what cause the JIRA can't started?

1 answer

0 votes

Well, basically, it's still "look at the log files". Jira and Tomcat are attempting to write them, and the only time you won't get a log file is if you've seriously damaged your Tomcat installation. Even then, when you run the startup, it will tell you "I can't even write to a log file because...." and then terminate.

Start with how you are starting the system. What script do you run? If you're using a service, then step away from that for now, go find the Jira installation and just run the startup script in the /bin directory - that will tell you about any critical statup failures (like can't create log etc). If that works, then you WILL be getting a catalina.out file with further errors in it.

I think you might have misunderstood the document by the way. It tells you that you do not want to *define* Catalina_home before running Jira as it might confuse it (if you've got other systems using Tomcat on a box, then it might have been defined by them). I's a variable saying "Hey, Tomcat, use this directory as a home". It does NOT say "delete the home directory" (and if you've done that, you might need to reinstall...)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,783 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot