After fresh JIRA install, JIRA returns a lot of 404s

Jason Walton April 30, 2012

I just did a fresh JIRA install of 5.0.3 on a Linux machine.

At some point, long in the past, this machine had a JIRA 4.1.1 instance on it. I dropped the old JIRA database in MySQL. I missed removing the "jira" user from /etc/passwd, so the 5.0.3 JIRA installer created a user named "jira1". Everything seemed to go smoothly, but when I tried to create my first project I got:

"Could not find servlet for: /plugins/servlet/project-config/PROJ/summary"

I also got an error from the main page claiming that "The Gadget Dashboard bundled plugin is not available."

So, I tried a "sudo service jira1 stop" followed by a "sudo service jira1 start"... This didn't improve the situation. Now I get:

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Gadget Spec Publisher Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)

Hrm... What's gone horribly wrong here?

3 answers

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2012

Hi Jason,

Please check the following information.

• Ensure all the plugins from JIRA 4 is compatible with JIRA 5.
  • Delete file on $JIRA_HOME/plugins/
    • .osgi plugins folder.
    • .bundled plugins folder.
  • Restart your linux services.

Hope it helps.

John

0 votes

I ran the "uninstall" in /opt/atlassian/jira, then I "rm -rf"ed /opt/atlassian and /var/atlassian". I removed my old "jira" user from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and /etc/group. I did a completely fresh install of JIRA.

I set up my database connection, and then got as far as the screen where I need to enter a license. I copy-pasted my old license, not realizing my server-ID had changed. It never got as far as telling me my license was bad, though; it died with a:

org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.ServiceProxyDestroyedException: service proxy has been destroyed

Looking at the logs, I again see all kinds of timeouts:

org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.applinks.plugin' has timed out

0 votes

I tried another stop/start, this time doing a "tail -f catalina.out". I waiting unit I go to the point where all the "Plugin Unit" lines were done, and I got to:

2012-05-01 00:03:13,976 Spring executor 4 INFO [jira.plugins.monitor.MonitoringScheduler] Scheduling metrics collector to run every 10000ms...

Then nothing exciting seemed to be happening, so I tried to go to my JIRA server in a web browser. Then, exiting things started to happen. :P

2012-05-01 00:03:58,053 Timer-0 WARN [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Timeout occurred before finding service dependencies for [NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.atlassian.applinks.plugin, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)]
2012-05-01 00:03:58,105 Timer-0 ERROR [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Unable to create application context for [com.atlassian.applinks.plugin], unsatisfied dependencies: Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.util.RestUrlBuilder)] (from bean [&restUrlBuilder]), Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.sal.api.net.RequestFactory)] (from bean [&requestFactory]), Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JaxbJsonMarshaller)] (from bean [&jaxbJsonMarshaller])

This is followed by tons and tons of timout errors for various systems.

I have "top" running in another window - I'm not running out of memory, in fact I'm not even touching my swap yet. During this mass of timeouts, java is humming along at 93% CPU usage.

Although, this time I only get a list of 6 plugins in the "JIRA locked" screen instead of 7. Progress of a sort, I suppose.

Suggest an answer