After created an issue, is it possible to go to different status based on the reporter?

Tracy Qin August 6, 2012

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure workflow in JIRA 5.x would like the workflow can work like this:

Suppose there are 2 upcoming status for the Create issue, and here is the steps for them:

Create issue-> Status 1->Status2.

And two persons named Person A and Person B, both of them can create issues.

On one hand, after Person A create an issue, the status of this issue would be Status 1, and then Person B make a certain transition, finally the status of the issue would be Status2.

On the other hand, after Person B create an issue, the status would be Status 2, which means the issue would skip Status 1 and go directly to Status 2.

Is it possible to do it? If yes, what do I need to do then?

Thanks in advance,

8 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2012

Not really. You create an issue, it has to go to one status. I suspect this is because it's immensely complicated to have floating targets in workflows, it's far easier to stick to something basic and clear and then build on that.

There is a basic way to work through this - first, make your workflow have transitions from "initial step" to any others you want to land on, and then use a listener to catch the "create" event and automatically push it through that transition. I've used the one in the Jira toolkit to do this a few times, but there are other plugins that make such listeners available - like the one Radu talked about.

Tracy Qin August 30, 2012

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your suggestion, and I will try it later, could you provide me which tool do you use to implement this?

Thanks,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2012

I used the auto-transition listener in the "Jira Toolkit"

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2012

Hi, you can do this using Script (Groovy) Runner. Jamie made a blog post about something similar here - http://blogs.onresolve.com/?p=235.

0 votes
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2012

Not sure what happened exactly - I thought I voted it up. Now I can't remove the down vote nor can I vote it up. "We're sorry, but an unknown error ocurred. Please try again in a while." Sorry Tracy, but I'll try again later.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

Correct. I will vote it back

0 votes
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

Thanks Radu.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

hmm, and why was this question downvoted ? I can't see anything to complain about it...

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

totally agre there is no reason for this question to be downgraded.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

Many plugins offer an autotransition routine (including ours, JJupin).In this way, when executing postfunction reaching status1, you can jump in status2 conditionally.

Suggest an answer