After clicking "Create" I would like the Description field to have information ready

Dave Collins April 13, 2017

This is specifically for a "Bug". Our process is that the description field for a Bug has minimum details, below.  I cannot do this as a post function. I need it for the specific issueType immediately in the Description field.

Running latest .v of JIRA Cloud

Does anyone solve for this?

*Issue*:

*Steps to Reproduce*:

#

#

*Actual Result*:

*Expected Result*:

1 answer

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2017

Hi Dave,

I don't think this can happen today for Cloud. There is a highly voted suggestion here asking for the ability to set defaults on system fields:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-4812

Dave Collins April 14, 2017

Thanks, Josh. Doesn't look I'll have this solved anytime soon.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2017

Probably not. The only thing you might be able to do as an alternative (without plugins) would be to create another multi line text field and put that on your create screen. Then, in the Create issue postfunction, use the "Copy value from other field" function to copy the text from the new custom field to the description. You'd also have to add the "Store Issue" postfunction to the create transition.

You wouldn't need to show the new field on the View screen or edit screen because the user's entered text would now live in Description.

You can set defaults into custom multi line text fields. I used my multi line field "Root Cause" when trying this out, but you could call it whatever you want. One downside is that you wouldn't have the WYSIWYG editor that recent versions of JIRA have for Description.

description_postfunction.png

Suggest an answer