After Upgrading Jira6.1 from Jira5.0.7 services is not getting displayed

jayasingh January 27, 2014

Hi,

we are using jira5.0.7 in our organisation. Now we are planning to upgrade our jira version to jira 6.1. I tried upgrading to jira6.1 in testing instance. After upgrading to jira6.1 services is not getting displayed in services.msc.

Can any one please help.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2014

Hi,

I believe what do you need to do is to add JIRA service manually, you should proceed with the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt.
  2. Change directory to the JIRA installation directory and then into this directory's 'bin' subdirectory.
    (warning) If a directory in the path has spaces (e.g. 'C:\Program Files\..'), please convert it to its eight-character equivalent (e.g. 'C:\Progra~1\..').
  3. Ensure the JAVA_HOME variable is set to the root of your Java platform's installation
  4. Run the following command: service.bat install JIRA

5. JIRA should now be set up to run as a service.

6. In addition, to have the JIRA service start automatically when the operating system starts, run: tomcat7 //US//JIRA --Startup auto

I hope this helps.

Regards.

jayasingh February 2, 2014

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your reply.

I have one more question please help.

when we upgrade from jira 4.4 to jira 5.0.7 we haven't face this issue. The service got installed automatically after the upgrade. But now we are trying to upgrade from jira 5.0.7 to jira 6.1, here we are facing this issue.

Is there any way to get the service installed automatically like jira 5.0.7 upgrade.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

jayasingh February 10, 2014

Hi Pedro,

Can you please give me some brief clarification about the 3rd step which you have mentioned.

"Ensure the JAVA_HOME variable is set to the root of your Java platform's installation"

In our testing instance we have installed java 1.5. we have upgraded to jira6.1 and installed a service manually.For jira 6.1 the compatible java version is java 1.7. I just want to know whether the java installed on our machine matters or jira will automatically install the java version compatible with that jira version.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

0 votes
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

Hello Jayasingh,

The service may have been renamed to "Atlassian JIRA".

Here is a similar bug report: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36996

I actually personally tested this by installing jira 5.0.7 and upgrading it to 6.1.5/6.1.7, which showed me that the service was renamed to "Atlassian JIRA". (I gave it another name when I installed the service)

So the workaround would be to install the service again. Can you try searching your list of services and see if you can find "Atlassian JIRA" ?

Suggest an answer