Affected Version - not a custom field and mandatory - set default value

Juby John November 7, 2017

Hi

I have a non custom field called affected version on Create Bug screen which is mandatory.

By default in absence of any version it shows 'None' and create Bug screen gives error saying Affected version required.

Can someone suggest on how i can have a default value TBD and get rid of the error.

3 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

The Affect/s Version fields is populated by the Versions that you have defined in your project. To add values to it you need to go to your Project settings and add a Version. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-enable-and-edit-component-s-affects-version-s-and-fix-version-s-field-711361820.html for more details.

You can also make the field optional by changing your field configuration so you do not have to enter a value for Affect/s Version.

Thanks Mikael. We want our users to add affected version hence we have kept it mandatory.

Natalia Glinka September 22, 2020

Even though my "Affects Version/s" is made optional in the field configuration, I need to choose it when creating a ticket, as if it was required. How to change that?

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2017

Hello, 

You can make the field not mandatory and create a validator or post function where you would check if the field has a value or not.  If not you would set a default value to the field. 

Juby John November 8, 2017

Thanks Alexey.

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

You can either modify the Field Configuration to remove the requirement for Version, or you can create a new version for the project to use within bugs.

If you are going to just be creating a dummy version to set your bugs to, you might as well remove it from the configuration. That being said, if you are going to remove it from the field configuration scheme, make sure that you aren't affecting other projects. 

This is cloud documentation for how to modify the field confiugrations, but it works for server as well. 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/changing-a-field-configuration-844500798.html

Thanks Kian.

Suggest an answer