Affected Services tied to Labels

Brian Ratte August 3, 2023

I'm attempting to have the affected services tied to labels. Currently I've tried via automation "when value changes for affected services" "then edit issue fields labels = copy from trigger issue". This only seems to take into account 1 affected service, not multiple. Any suggestions? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

Hi @Brian Ratte ,

You could try to create an "Advanced Branch" in your automation rule, that loops over the "Affected Services". For example, suppose you want to add a label with the name of each services to your ticket.

You first create an "Advanced Branch" that retrieves the affected services from the issue with a smart value, and places that value in a variable (ex. myServices).

Snip20230803_31.png

And then you add an "Edit Issue" action in the loop, that adds the name of the service as a label to the ticket.

Snip20230803_32.png

Best regards,
Kris

Hi @Kris Dewachter , thanks for the swift response !

This seemed to work for 1, but not multiple. 

2023-08-03_14-10-17.png

Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

Hi @Brian Ratte ,

In your "Edit issue" action, please make sure the label is "added" to the issue, and does not overwrite any existing label (ADDREMOVE).

Snip20230803_33.png

Best regards,

Kris

@Kris Dewachter  getting closer !

Added 2.. but not the 3rd !

2.png1.png

Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2023

@Brian Ratte,

What is the trigger for the automation rule? Is it triggered each time a service is added ?

Which service did you add last ? Was it "Dimension" ?

Can you check if the automation rule was actually triggered and check what's in the logging.

@Kris Dewachter  I chose the below, as I wanted it triggered on creation, and addition. It looks like the last one added is what is missing. 1 and 2 were added but not 3rd (in this case dimension). I tried another in alphabetical order and the last was not a label. 

3.png

Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2023

@Brian RatteCan you check the audit log of the automation rule to see if it actually executed and what has been done.

You can also add the "Log Action" action to your automation rule to add some more logging.

Brian Ratte August 4, 2023

Thanks @Kris Dewachter  good to know about the extra logging. My peer @Briana Prescott  was able to come up with this  and it worked!
2.png1.png

Like Kris Dewachter likes this
Paul Diu April 29, 2024

I found this article very useful. I followed the steps above and got it working but there is one issue that I found that prevents the Automation to work. In our case, the naming convention for some of our Affected Services consist of multiple words e.g. "Active Directory". The Automation will not work in this case since Labels does not recognizes spaces. Is there a work around for this you can share by any chance?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events