Advices on first JIRA Project

Celik Vedat November 16, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm about to create my first JIRA Project for work. As you can see I've never worked with JIRA before. Du you got any advices for me? e.g. learning material, checklists, tutorials etc... I'll create a project for an demand management. What i've done is defining my workflow. Now of corse there a other parts to be carefully with (like fields depending on transitions, permissions for statuses etc.). I've learned this in an system admin traing for Jira. So, does anyone have something like an overview of topics I have to consider to avoid errors in the end? And is then possible to export my Project (what i will create in JIRA test) into productive system?

thanks a lot,

vedat

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2017

Dear Celik,

When starting with your very first JIRA project, I think that some important things to look at are;

• Issue Types / Issue Type Schemes - What do you really need?
  • Workflows - What fits my process, and do I need multiple?
  • Screens - What information do I need for what Issue Type?
  • Field Configuration - What should be mandatory on the screen?
  • Components - How will I differentiate issues?
  • Roles - Project Roles based on Groups, but which ones?
  • Permission Scheme - Who should be able to do what?
  • Notification Scheme - Who should receive notifications?
  • In a service desk project - What queues will I need?
  • Service desk configuration - Open.. private.. will customers have an account created for them.. or will it be public sign-up?

You can also take a look at whether or not your team would like to use either a Kanban or Scrum board.. or any board at all really.

In addition to the points that I mentioned above, Atlassian has created an in-depth guide on how to manage projects and everything that comes with it.. which you can give a read.. here;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/administering-jira-software-764478186.html

And to your last question; Yes, you can actually create an export of the entire environment.. and import only the project that you need into your production.. or simply the entire back-up.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Celik Vedat November 16, 2017

First of all, my name is vedat, celik is my last name..but you're not the first and you'll not be the last :D

Appreciate your Answer, this ist very helpfull for me!

kind regards,

vedat

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2017

Dear Vedat,

Ahah! Well, pardon me! :-). And ofcourse it is my pleasure and I am happy that this can be of use to you!

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Suggest an answer