Advice regarding Database migration

I need to migrate our production system from Postgresql to MySQL.

My thought is to:

1. back up the App

2. Spin up a raw copy of Jira backed by MySQL

3. Restore the APP from the XML file

4. Roll over DNS, ETC.

5. bring down old instance

Should be strait forward, but I am a little worried about the back-up XML file not restoring correctly. Does anyone have advice on things I should be careful of?

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote
Ivan Tse Atlassian Team Sep 21, 2012

Hey Andrew,

In many cases we actually recommend using the XML restore method. I haven't seen significant issues with it before unless the database created in mysql isn't set to what JIRA expects. From what you described, it sounds more like you're moving servers completely rather than just databases.

If you're going to just move databases, you should be able to just spin JIRA down, reconfigure it to point to the mysql database then restore the backup zip. Your postgres server at this point won't be touched so the data there will stay as is.

Other than that, before doing anything I recommend backuping everything up.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Going to give it a go tomorrow.

Hi Andrew, this would depend on the size of your instance. XML backups eat ram. If you do have huge instances it'd fail and/or take a very long time.

As Harry says "give it more RAM" or your XML backup will likely fail.

Also you may want to pay some attention to db settings like "CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;" and to your "my.cnf" depending on the size and activity of the db.

Notably

default-storage-engine=INNODB

transaction-isolation=READ-COMMITTED

innodb_log_file_size=default is way too small

slow_query_log=1 (possibly)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,264 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot