Advanced query (contains not !~) and comments

E.ON Business Services GmbH July 31, 2013

Hi,

I want to get all issues, which does not contain comments with a given word, e.g. no comment of a issue shall contain the word "Test".

Currently the search looks at every comment but not the whole comments of a issue. This means, if a issue has several comments, one does contain the word but one of the others does not, the issue gets displayed in the navigator.

All issues of project MYPROJ, which do not contain comments with the text "Test".

project = MYPROJ AND comment !~ Test ORDER BY key ASC

How do I write a query which matches all comments of a issue?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013

If I got you correct you want to select issues where all comments does not contain the word "Test".

Hmm, I think this can not be achieved with advanced JQL. As you mentioned as soon as you have in one comment "Test" the 'does not contain' condition becomes true.

Sorry

2 votes
Pat Cullen January 17, 2017

This can be achieved by building two queries:

1) Build a query that gives you all tickets that contain your text "Test":

project = "MYPROJ"  AND comment ~ "test"

2) Save that query and note the filter id. We'll pretend the filter id is 1234

3) Reference that query to get the opposite of it:

project = "MYPROJ" AND filter != 1234

Florian K May 5, 2017

You mean

comment ~ "test"

instead of

project = "MYPROJ" AND comment ~ "test"

, right?

Cory Bonneau September 12, 2019

That did exactly what I needed! 

Thanks you so much

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2019

See the answer by Ignacio Pulgar (May 9, 2018) in this thread:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Search-for-issues-that-do-not-contain-text/qaq-p/455633

The secret ingredient is how to use the filter:

<some-criteria-here> AND FILTER NOT IN (<filter-ID>)

Definitely counter-intuitive IMO...

0 votes
Carolina Rodriguez May 3, 2018

Hi @Pat Cullen, I am trying to use your suggestion with two queries but getting error "causes a cyclical reference" when executing the second one. Specifically, I created this first query: 

type = "Enhancement Request" AND comment ~ housekeeping ORDER BY created ASC

Saved it with filter ID: 27613

Then use filter in second query:

type = "Enhancement Request" AND filter !=27613

I am trying to get all tickets without comment that includes the text" Housekeeping". Any help would be very much appreciated! 

Mark Gaz May 16, 2018

Hi @Carolina Rodriguez,

The trick is to not use similar expressions in both (here it's the 'type' term), per @Florian K's message above.

If you save only this part as your first filter: 'comment ~ housekeeping'

then your second query should then work.

Mark

0 votes
Tarun T September 21, 2015

How can i search for string not containing # character in comments. above solution is not valid here as # being reserved character in JQL

Suggest an answer