Advanced filters stripping parenthesis

Ari Brown November 6, 2013

Hi All,

I'm using a saved search filter to power my Agile boards. It is a rather complex set of ANDs and ORs as it combines information from three different projects. When I save the filter, however, Jira strips out all the parenthesis. I think I'm getting additional results because of it. Is there something I can do to preserve the exact search I entered instead of simplifying it? Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
StevenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

Hi Ari,

May we know that did the search result change? Because the AND operator actually connect 2 variables, so it is not necessary to have parentheses at all, the system just remove redundancy items to enhance the JQL search request.

For example, X1 OR (X2 AND X3) would be same with X1 OR X2 AND X3

Best Regards,

Steven

Nyamdavaa December 11, 2019

Really? are you joking on me 

Like Sam likes this
13 votes
Michael Bovilsky December 26, 2014

My opinion is that the parenthesis should not be stripped because they aid with readability.  Especially, given not every user understands this functionality.

0 votes
Gautham Hari December 4, 2020

You could save them as separate filters and then combine them using the following query:
filter = "filter 1" OR filter = "filter 2" 
It would be easier to read, understand the results and to troubleshoot.

0 votes
Ari Brown November 13, 2013

So JQL just implies parens on either side of the AND statement? Confusing but acceptable. Just makes things a bit harder to read. Thanks Steven. My problem must be elsewhere.

0 votes
StevenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

Hi Ari,

Can you let us know the exact JQL on your filters in order to enable us to see how Jira strips out all the parenthesis?

Best Regards,

Steven

Ari Brown November 10, 2013

Hey Steven - thanks for getting back to me. The actual query (slightly obfuscated to remove personal info) should be:

project = "Dev Platform" OR (project = "Splunk Server" AND assignee in (username1, username2, username3, username4)) OR (project = "Microsoft Apps" AND component = Palette)

But when I save, Jira flattens it to:

project = "Dev Platform" OR project = "Splunk Server" AND assignee in (username1, username2, username3, username4) OR project = "Microsoft Apps" AND component = Palette

Any thoughts?

Suggest an answer