Advanced Search with JQL Won't Filter Suggested Users based on Search Text

tnolte February 27, 2020

I'm specifically working on trying to change my Slack notifications using JQL. When attempting to use the `assignee` field and looking for my name I can't get this to work with my username, I'm assuming because of recent GDPR changes. However, as has been suggested I trying to just type my name and I only ever get the first 15 users where their names start with "A" and I'm looking for my name which starts with "T". The search/filter simply does nothing to filter the autocomplete results.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2020

Hey @tnolte , welcome to the Community!

Thanks for describing the behavior you're seeing with adding user fields in the JQL filtering for Slack notifications. I was able to reproduce the same thing on a test instance and have filed a bug with our integrations team. You can track this on our public Jira instance at API-231 .

With a little extra trouble, you can get the filter working currently. By running the filter search you want to set up in a regular Jira issue search outside of the Slack subscription configuration, you can get the username picker to filter correctly and have it complete the GDPR-compliant user ID. Once the filter is working in a regular issue search, you can copy and paste the JQL into the Slack subscription configuration.

image.png

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

tnolte April 23, 2020

Well, just to follow up, JQL is still not working. I tried this:

```

assignee = ############# AND lastCommentBy != #############

```

Using the GDPR user ID and the result is that I get no notifications for anything. I'm trying to get notifications for just when other do things to tickets assigned to me and not get notifications for everything I change on the ticket. I don't need to be notified about the things I did myself. So frustrating.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2020

@tnolte sorry you've been having some trouble getting the notifications set up!

The good news is that we're close to shipping API-80 - Personal Jira Notifications in Slack . It's in early-access right now and you should be able to get the type of notifications you're looking for with minimal configuration. As we're in the process of incrementally rolling out the feature to Jira sites, it's possible that it's not quite available to you yet. Once it is, you should get a message from the Jira Cloud app in Slack:

image.png

You can also try messaging notify to the app right now and see if it gives you the configuration options. If not, check again in the coming days!

0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 27, 2020

Hi tnole,
Regardless of the problem you share with us, note that you can use currentUser() JQL function to refer to your user in some cases.

tnolte February 27, 2020

@Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ hmm, in the context of the Slack integration I don't believe that would work since I'm not interacting as myself with the integration when it's running via some service. This isn't a Jira list/report sort of scenario.

Suggest an answer