Advanced Search and Custom fields

Rick Davey April 20, 2015

I want to create a filter that searches for all empty assignments.  I use a Group Assignment custom field as well as the normal person assignment field.    So I only want issues that are empty in both  assignment fields.  

I'm using this but it is being rejected by the search filter.  Any way that I can form the search correctly?

status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, "On Hold", "To Do") AND assignee in (EMPTY) AND "Group Assignee" is EMPTY

3 answers

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2015

Rick,

When you mention:

it is being rejected by the search filter

Is there any error messages returned? Please share that with us. smile

Also, are you using any context for the custom field "Group Assignee", such as restricting for certain projects or issue types only?

No response.   I "save as" the the revised filter and when that is done it has removed the last part of the filter query..So it comes back as "status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, "On Hold", "To Do") AND assignee in (EMPTY) "

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2015

Just to be sure, after you are adding "AND "Group Assignee" is EMPTY", did you run the filter? So, let's say you have a filter, you open it, edit it, you need to run it before you are able to save the modifications.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2015

You've got 

status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, "On Hold", "To Do") AND assignee in (EMPTY) AND "Group Assignee" is EMPTY

Which looks slightly wrong to me - specfically "assignee in (empty)" doesn't have the right ring.  Could you try

status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, "On Hold", "To Do") AND assignee is empty AND "Group Assignee" is EMPTY

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2015

(Oh, also try "assignee = unassigned" - that might be better too)

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2015

assignee in (EMPTY) is correct according to JIRA Auto JQL generator. I think it maybe related to indexing :)

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2015

Although assignee = unassigned would likely be better performance wise, they both are the same as far as the results they'll bring. As far as index related, that shouldn't be the case, otherwise the filter would be saved, just would not return anything. :/

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2015

And he said he just re-indexed :p

0 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2015

Hi Rick!

Normally, when you add new Custom Fields (or make changes other sections that deal with searches), you may have to re-index JIRA. Have you performed a re-index after adding those fields?

Cheers!

Joao

Yes and just did the reindex again same result

Suggest an answer