Advanced JQL to highlight stalled issues on a wallboard.

Jeremy Jeremy October 29, 2012

Has someone written a JQL query where it shows the following:

* An issue(s) have been in a status = "In Progress" since "2012/10/20"

I just put a date in there, but it should be able to work with the startofWeek/endofWeek/etc functions.

Basically what we are trying to do is highlight any issues that have stalled out and put them up on our wallboard. The problem we are having is if a card has moved in and out of "In Progress" the BEFORE JQL picks up on those dates and it is giving us false positives.

Thank you for the assistance.

Respectfully,

Jeremy Neuharth | Founder

Sycorr

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

I don't know if there is a direct query but there is certainly a workaround. Create a filter for issue where status was changed after a date.

status changed after "date"

And then query for issue not in that filter.

filter != "filter I created above"

Jeremy Jeremy November 4, 2012

We where trying to keep the logic out of the wall board code, although that would work.

Does anyone have an example JQL statement that selects issues in a status, such as "In Progress," that are concered stalled? As I metioned above, our goal is to call attention to issues that are not moving through the workflow.

Respectfully,

Sycorr

0 votes
Phil Stainthorp June 20, 2016

Found this thread when I was trying to develop my solution to this problem which I have attached below. This works well for us with three week cycles. I would probably shorten it a little if we were only in 2 weekly iterations.

image2016-6-21 8:58:24.png

0 votes
Ian D November 5, 2012

Note that the "pips" shown at the foot of each card on the rapid-board indicate that cards duration that status. The more pips, the longer it has spent in that statis. Mouseover, get more info.

As a quickfilter option you could try:

updated > startOfDay(-3)

I.e: show issues that haven't been updated in more than 3 days.

We call this filter button, "the button on shame" :)

Jeremy Jeremy November 5, 2012

Ian:

We actually use the "pips" when we look at the KANBAN version of the taskboard. With that said our team is large enough with things fairly broken down that we can't get the needed information (thumbs up or down) on a single big screen that is always updated for the team. So, I basically want the logic of the "pips" (which is just how long it is in the current status) and show any issues over X old in that status.

That is why I am looking for the JQL to pick them off the board and show in a different way on a wallboard that we have developed.

Respectfully,

Sycorr

0 votes
Ian D November 5, 2012

you

Suggest an answer