Advanced JQL filter for agile board

DECA March 6, 2016
  • In our company we have 4 teams.
  • Each team is responsible for multiple projects.
  • Each team has multiple members
  • It is possible that members of one team help out on a project assigned to another team

What I would like to see as result:

• All issues for the projects of my team (Can be assigned to members of my team or members of another team)
  • All issues assigned to the members of my team (this must include issues under a project of another team)
  • Do not see closed/resolved issues, except for the current open sprint (So we can see what we closed in the current sprint, but we don't see them in the backlog)

This is what I have come up with so far, but it is not returning the expected results:

(project in (Project A, Project B,...) OR assignee in (EMPTY, membersOf(Team1))) AND ((status not in (Closed, Delivered) AND Sprint not in (openSprints())) AND issuetype not in (Rollup, Classification, Requirement, "Sprint Marker") AND level not in ("hide issue - only admin")) ORDER BY Rank

I tried switching conditions around, adding extra brackets,... with different results...

Hopefully someones sees what I am doing wrong. All help appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
DECA March 8, 2016

Hi Phill,

Thank you for your reply and time. I have fiddled some more after my initial post and this is what I am currently using. It seems to return the expected result as far as I could see.

(status not in (Closed, Delivered) OR Sprint in openSprints())
AND (category = Team1 OR assignee in membersOfGroups(Team1))
AND level = EMPTY
AND issuetype not in (Rollup, Classification, Requirement, "Sprint Marker")
ORDER BY Rank

It seems that the order of conditions is very important. My experience is that using not in operators complicated the query.
I tested your query, but it provided no results somehow. Still thank you for your effort smile

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

HI Dennis,
I can see what you are trying to achieve here and it is certainly an interesting requirement for implementing an Agile board. One concern that I see is that you will have issues moving between boards as they are assigned to different teams which will lead to issues with reporting. 
In addition to your main filter I would create some quickfilters to allow you to quickly drill down on different parts of the query.
Looking at your requirements I believe this could be the JQL to meet it.

(project in (Project A, Project B,...) OR assignee in (EMPTY, membersOf(Team1)))
AND status not in (Closed, Delivered)
AND Sprint not in (openSprints())
AND issuetype not in (Rollup, Classification, Requirement, "Sprint Marker")
AND level not in ("hide issue - only admin")
ORDER BY Rank

Suggest an answer