Administrator can't assign tasks

matthew chapman November 7, 2012

Good Evening,

Please note the following:

- I am the administrator for my company JIRA site during evaluation mode and the admin account for the site cannot see the list of users I created

- the admin account cannot assign tickets to the users as well

Can someone let me know if what I am doing wrong?

Matthew

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2012

I think both of these are about permissions.

Where are you looking for the list of users? I'm guessing that you mean that you can get the list of users from the admin screens, but you can't see them in "user picker" fields (like reporter and assignee). If that guess is right, go to Admin -> Global permissions and check who can "browse users" - make sure you have that permission and try again.

For assigning, there's a principle here - some applications say "admin can do anything". This is a really bad access model and a trap that Atlassian do not fall into. Jira doesn't care if you are an Admin when it comes to the assignee permission - you need to make sure you have it the same as any other user (of course, you could use "admins" in the permission shceme). See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

1 vote
Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

You need to look at the permission scheme. It could be that the administrator is not included in the permissions.

Administrator in JIRA does not guarantee "God" access to everything, although that is typically the default.

matthew chapman November 7, 2012

This was the perfect answer! "permission scheme" corrected my problem immediately.

Thank you

Michelle O'Riordan January 7, 2013

Me too. Only devs would expect that assign-to default is restricted to devs-only.

Suggest an answer