Administrator access?

Scott Skversky August 24, 2016

How do gain access into JIRA through Linux to change DB accounts/permissions?

Administrator left our firm and no one access into JIRA from an admin side.  Is there a workaround?  We should be able to login as it is authenticated through AD but denying us access.

any advice would be grateful!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2016

If you just want to change the database settings this is done in dbconfig.xml which is under your application-data/jira/-folder. This does not demand admin access, only root to the box where it's deployed. You need to shut down jira, edit the file, and restart JIRA again.

0 votes
Scott Skversky August 24, 2016

Thank you.

I have little experience with this so i have a follow-up question.  Is there a guide to running the SQL queries in general with Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2016

Generally, don't.  The database is not built for reporting (and you certainly can't write to it), and reading the database is a last resort.  It's better to use the API.

As an example, "show me an issue" is a click leading to an issue display in the UI.  It's two lines of REST call (one if you're happy sending username/password over the network).  It averages 18 tables joined if you do it with SQL.

Scott Skversky August 25, 2016

The real question is, how do we even connect to the db?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2016

Use whatever database tools that come with the database you're running.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2016

Suggest an answer