Additive Quick Filters

Becky Cyr February 8, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring Quick Filters

Currently multiple quick filters impose and AND condition across multiple constraints.  Is it possible to change to an OR operator so that you can select multiple different filters that would all justify inclusion.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2017

No, I'm afraid there's no way to do that.  It would be nice (although the UI designer I've spoken to about it says it's hard to sensibly show the mode on-screen to avoid "why isn't an and/or" questions from end users)

2 votes
Deleted user September 9, 2017

I agree with Rohan. A simple filter to show label:red and label:yellow is a great example of something that as a PM I would like very much. Also due:30 and due:overdue would be another one. Guy

0 votes
Daniel de Vries April 11, 2024

I fully agree that this would be a great addition. For me as an user, I love to rely on using quick filters for simple filtering. Simple filtering, in my team's eyes & mine, would also look like this:

• Click on filter 1 to filter out all issues related to topic 1.
  • Click on filter 2 to filter out all issues related to topic 2.
  • Click on filter 1 & filter 2 to filter out issues related to both topic 1 OR 2.

Currently, with the AND operator, it only drills down, instead of filtering additively.

We have many such topics which we label conscienciously, but then aren't able to fully utitlize in the quick filters. I also feel very little for creating custom JQL's for each possible combination, nor do I think that creating filters to EXCLUDE is a very charming working.

Perhaps the technical/UI/UX solution isn't that simple, but I disagree with @MattS that the request itself, from the end user perspective, is that complex, and must admit I'm a little shocked that this hasn't been handled in over seven years (many other forum posts also relate to this topic).

0 votes
Dustin May 25, 2022

One way you could achieve this is by treating checking the filter as EXCLUDING those items.
Then all unchecked things would remain.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2017

Quick Filters are intended for simple cases. For more complex searches, including OR, use the regular JQL Basic or Advanced search for issues

Deleted user June 9, 2017

Sometimes you need additive quick filters, so this intention though understandable can always be challenged I think.

Like Daniel de Vries likes this
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

@MattS

JQL directly on the board

JQL.png

Randy March 12, 2019

Just curious about the comment for quick filters being "intended for simple cases" as some of our users are seeing some weird scenarios. What goes beyond simple and causes quick filters to break?

For example, we have quick filter "A" defined as "Custom Select Field" != "XYZ" and quick filter "B" defined as being "component not in (some.component).

When using quick filter "A" or "B" by themselves, they are fine. However, when using them additively / together, the query doesn't work. 

Thanks in advance for your input.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 8, 2017

No, but you can use our plugin The Agile Board FIlter to handle this scenario.

board filtering.png 

Suggest an answer