Additional Comment Fields

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

Is there a way to have more than one comment section? (Like a custom filed of type comment)

We have a number of groups of people who look at and add to the one issue. 

It would suite our business if we could segregate the comments added to the ticket by each area.

I see there is an option on limiting the view of a comment by role, however this is not what we are looking for.

We still want everyone to be able to see the comments, but rather than looking though just one long stream of comments they can look in the area appropriate to their purpose.

Anyone done anything like this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2015

I'm afraid not - the comment section requires its own data structure within JIRA (not a complex one, but it's not a field like most of the other stuff you see on an issue).  There's no way to have more than one comment section, and I'm not aware of any addons that provide one.

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2015

Thanks for the detail. I thought I might be pushing it :).

Carol Jones November 6, 2018

I'm surprised there's not yet an AddOn that helps with this.  I'm also looking for something similar.  @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - Any chance Adaptavist has it as a suggestion within it's backlog?! :)

Hi @Carol Jones

We developed a custom plugin for our customer like as your request and we are planning to publish it at marketplace also. Can you share details of the your request with a support ticket?

Best regards,  

Elaine_Reece May 21, 2019

@Mert Karadağlı _ Köstebek Teknoloji _ did you end up publishing that plugin to Marketplace? We have a ServiceNow adapter hook to Jira (yeah I know...) and that app has 2 comments fields, private vs public. I can't hook both to the comments field in Jira, so I need another comments field. Putting a multi-line text box is not sufficient.

Ory Bensignor March 23, 2020

@Elaine_Reece did you manage to solve you issue? I have the exact problem with ServiceNow and currently working on the integration with Jira.

If anyone can help with how to add new comments section in Jira it will be awesome.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2020

It's the same as before - you'll need an app to provide more comments-like fields.

Suggest an answer