Adding watchers

John Desha January 5, 2015

When adding a watcher to an issue, JIRA checks to see if that user has permissions to view the issue and if they do not you cannot add the watcher, and this error is displayed:

There was an error adding watcher

• The user "jd" does not have permission to view this issue. This user will not be added to the watch list.

This is true even if you allow the custom field watchers (which supports this Watcher Field plugin) permission to view the issue. I want to add a watcher so they can view the issue (via the browse permission I granted to watchers), but I cannot add them as a watcher without first moving the issue to another project where they already have permissions and then moving it back.

Has anyone found a way around this? Would it be possible for the plugin to allow me to override this JIRA check or to add the watcher in a more stealthy way that avoids the check?

I've had a support issue open for a month and may be close to a bug fix or feature request – not sure which yet.

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2015

You won't be able to do it without making changes to the code I guess.

What you would be able to do though will be to use another "Multi User picker" custom field and use that field in the notification schemes wherever watchers are used. Essentially you are getting the same watcher functionality via a custom field.

But, none of this will help because a user won't get a notification or will not be able to see the ticket unless he has permission to view the issue.

0 votes
John Desha January 5, 2015

Since it does not appear to have been linked, this relates to the add-on https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.jira-watcher-field

Suggest an answer