Adding users to the "Reporter" field that aren't JIRA users or you don't want them to know they have JIRA access..

Andrew Morin December 18, 2013

Okay I would like to think someone out there has done something similar to what I am asking. We develop an internally used application. Licensing is not an issue. I have an internal AD group with ~130 users. We would like to be able to put these users in the "Reporter" field for some tracking and reporting that development managers would like to see. I run JIRA in private mode and have a lot of projects (80+). I believe that you still can't use active directory groups in JIRA so right now the only solution I have is the following.

1. Create accounts for the 130 users (the ldap tool doesn't appear to have the ability to drill down to a group and I don't want to add all ldap users.)

2. Place them in a unique JIRA group.

3. I think giving the group "Browse Project" should be enough so they would be visible to the actual user who would be creating these issues in the project.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to make these users available on a per project instance running in "Private" mode?

2. Does anyone have a more elegant solution for adding 130 users other than one at a time using the "Add User" screen?

3. last one is does anyone have a completely different way to deal with this that is escaping me that they would be willing to share?

Cheers

Andrew

2 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2013

You don't have to create all those users again in JIRA. You can just connect to AD and all the users and groups in AD will be visible in JIRA.

And if you want to limit the users/groups, you can do that using User Object Filter or Group Object Filter. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DEV/How+to+write+LDAP+search+filtersfor more details on using the filters when a user directory is setup in JIRA.

Andrew Morin December 19, 2013

Jobin,

I have two Microsoft Active Directory user directories configured and the secondary one has the "syncronise" option but the primary one does not even have the check box to disable "Enable Incremental Synchronisation" and there is no "syncronisation" This is a fairly new AD group and it does not appear in the search list. Any idea's?

Thanks

Andrew

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2013

Can you add a screenshot of the User Directories page? That will probably give more details on the type of directories.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2013

On point 3, you need to give them "create issue" as well as "browse project"

On your questions

1. Actually, dump point 2, don't put them in a group. Instead, change your permission scheme to say "create = role: user (or something)" then you can place different users into the role in different projects.

2. Not really, unless you're into scripting it with a plugin, Jelly or REST.

Markus Vogel January 22, 2014

2. I have done this in the past with Jira command line interface (JCLI) "addUserWithFile"

Suggest an answer