Adding requested participants on creation of ticket

Phil Brady June 9, 2015

Hi,

If customer A creates a ticket we want customer B to be added to the requested participants automatically. Is this possible using generic events and post functions?

I have been trying to do this but i am not sure if i understand the generic events properly. If it is possible could you give me a step-by-step guide on how to do it please?

Kind regards,

Phil

5 answers

1 vote
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2015

Hi Phil,

No, unfortunately it's not possible to achieve that. What JIRA has is the ability to add a content into a field based on another field, when this content is fixed. E.g.: When Issue Type = Bug then add John as assignee. However this logic does not apply to dynamic content.

Let us know if this clarifies things.

Cheers!

0 votes
Phil Brady June 9, 2015

@Elisa Diel How do I achieve this then?

I have a workflow for a service desk / project. There are 4 people who can raise tickets in this service desk. i want one of them to be CC'd into every request

@Tom Napper does this solution work with service desk customers?

Tom Napper June 9, 2015

Phil. I'm not using the service desk product, just JIRA/Confluence so I'm not sure.

0 votes
Tom Napper June 9, 2015

Phil.

It looks like you have lots of answers. If i understand you correctly you want to have users automatically added to an issue based on a set of rules or actions. Here's what I am doing.

We use the "auto-watcher" add on.

When a ticket is created we add watchers based on the search string.

For example: If  the creator = "Peter.Parker@DailyNews.com" the add "TheGoblin" and "Doc Oc" as watchers.
We also have a rule that says: If the "issuetype=CSRPanic" then add "MyBoss" as a watcher

We use this because we want certain people to be part of the conversation/notifications after an issue is created. It works great.

To make this happen.

1. Admin>System
  2. Choose "add ons"
  3. Search for "AutoWatch" and then install it.
  4. Once installed
  5. Admin>Projects
  6. Pick the Project you want to use AutoWatch on
  7. Select Admin area of your Project (if it isn't already selected)
  8. Select AutoWatch Rules from the left hand
  9. Set your JQL queries for how you want to add Watchers.
  10. Done.

Took me a few times to get that worked out but it works great. Now MyBoss knows whenever we panicky issues!

Another approach, hopefully it was helpful.

0 votes
Juan Peraza June 9, 2015

Phil, here is how we achieve this - with the help of two add-ons.

First of all, the add-ons we use to accomplish what you describe are

• JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions - specifically the Copy Value From Field to Field post function
  • Workflow Enhancer for JIRA

Here's a description of what we do.  In our customer portal, we have a Cc field.  That field is of type User Picker (multiple users).  We allow a customer to specify Request Participants in the customer portal, by entering them in the Cc field.  During the Create transition of our workflow, we then copy the contents of the Cc field to the Request participants field.  We use a post function that's available in the Workflow Enhancer for JIRA add-on to conditionally execute the Copy Value From Field to Field post function.  I know this is not exactly like your scenario, similar.  Do you have or can you add the two add-ons?  The Workflow Enhancer add-on is free for server instances of JIRA.  It is not available for Cloud instances.  Pricing info for the Misc Workflow Extensions add-on can be found here.  Note, I am in no way affiliated with either add-on.  I'm simply a user of the two.  Wanted to stress that I'm not pushing the add-ons for my own benefit.  Just describing how we solve a similar problem on our end.

0 votes
Phil Brady June 9, 2015

Hi Elisa,

So it is not possible if Issue Type = Bug then add John as requested participants?

Kind regards,

Phil

Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2015

Hi Phil, Yes, that is possible. What you cannot do is to have a list of possible reporters and depending on which reporter you choose select another user to be a participant from another list. This would involve two list of users been scanned, which JIRA does not do. Please be aware that this will be set on your workflow, then to achieve what you'd like, you'd have to have quite a few post-functions for each possible reporter and participant. Which we do not recommend.

Suggest an answer