Adding options to a custom field as project administrator

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

I am trying to setup a multi select list custom field 'Client' that contains one value per client. Since we frequently need to add clients it would be nice if the project administrators could do so. Just like they can add versions and components. So far I cna only add values as user with the global administrator permission.

Is it true that only the global JIRA administrator can add values to a custom field? Am I missing something or is there any other way of achieving this (maybe another custom field / plugin)?

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2012

>Is it true that only the global JIRA administrator can add values to a custom field?

Yes, the two system level admin roles can do it. Project admins and lesser users can not. Project admins can maintain compone

>Am I missing something

Nope, you've read it correctly.

>is there any other way of achieving this (maybe another custom field / plugin)?

I think I've seen a plugin that allows you to create "project fields" that the project admins can look after, much like components, but I can't find it at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's recent (4.4 and 5?)

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

Thanks, I will search for it and report back once I found it.

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2012

I have found it (Project Specific Select Field plugin v. 0.5.0 for JIRA 4.3.3 - 4.3.4) but it seems to be no longer maintained by the developer (he did not even reply to my email). Any other solution? Is this still a limitation in JIRA 5?

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013

if you won't find any solution then then try with my answer

you can create a table on any data base with the options.

using data base values plugin you can get values from db and add to custom field

the plugin is located here

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.deblauwe.jira.plugin.database-values-plugin

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2013

But then you have to give the project admins access (permission + user interface) to this table to add and modify values.

0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013

I understand your concerns about pricing for Project Specific Select Field, especially if you compare with JIRA itself. But JIRA has a very large customer base and therefore more buffer for a low-price policy.

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013

Greenhopper costs $4000 for unlimited users. $3200 for a plugin that allows editing values on a project level is inappropriate. I would price it lower, make people love it, then have Atlassian buy it from you *hehe*

However, good luck with the sales, not everybody thinks like me.

0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013

Have a look at Project Specific Select Field plugin. This addresses your needs. It is a commercial plugin and available for JIRA 5.1 or newer.

Cheers
Holger

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013

Nice plugin, but we are unlikely to pay $3200 for this basic functionality.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013

I understand your concerns about pricing for Project Specific Select Field, especially if you compare with JIRA itself. But JIRA has a very large customer base and therefore more buffer for a low-price policy.

P.S. It is max. 2400$ for enterprise customers with 10000 or more users.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question