Adding new value in drop down list in two dimensional gadget

Ammie Kalygulov June 24, 2014

I added a two dimensional gadget to my Dashboard and want to filter on a value that is not already pre-populated in the Y-axis. I'd like to add a new value called Marketing Ready date to the drop down list in the Y-axis as an option to filter on in the two dimensional gadget. I looked around in JIRA Admin and not sure where to add this option. Can you or someone provide some assistance? Thank you!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2014
It is unclear what you mean by "add a new value". The gadget works off a filter and displays results gridded by two fields. If you want it to display more values, you need to add those values to the field's options, use the values on issues and choose those fields for the gadget. If, by values, you mean fields you can use for the axes, then you need to add the fields to the system and the will appear as selectable when you configure the gadget (as long as they are of a field type you can distinctly count the values of - free text, numbers, dates etc, are not countable, they don't have option lists)
Ammie Kalygulov June 24, 2014

Adding some screen shots to hopefully clarify what I'm trying to do:

How do I add a new value called “Marketing Ready” to the drop down in the Gadget Directory in the Y-axis? I would like to filter by Marketing Ready instead of Brands

Two dimensional filter:

Gadget Directory:

Marketing Ready Date is on the right side under Dates:

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2014

Ok, yes, that's very clear - it's not a "value" you want to add, it's a custom field.

As I said already, you can only use fields that can be counted - dates are not countable like that, so you can't do it.

There are a couple of workarounds, but you need addons to be able to do it, and there are some issues with doing it (you need to make the field countable, but a date has a potentially infinite number of possible values...)

Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

Hi,

This plugin provides the functionality you want.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/eu.kprod.jira.stattable-searchers

It allows more custom field types to two dimentional gadget.

Vijay

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2014

Yes, that's one of the plugins I was thinking about.

Just be warned that it can cause issues when you use it on large datasets that can have open-ended values like text or dates.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2014

The Stattable Searchers add-on is good for custom fields, but I haven't found an easy way to change the Searcher used by standard fields to implement CustomFieldStattable and so appear in the gadgets' drop-down list.

I sometimes wish that all standard fields were turned into custom fields back in JIRA 3.0!

Suggest an answer