Adding new fields to the Project Objects like Name, Key in JIRA

Aruna Malladi March 24, 2014

Adding new fields to the Project Objects like Name, Key in JIRA

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2014

This isn't even a question, and even if I try to imagine what you might be trying to ask, I can't convert it to a clear one.

Please explain what you are asking. What do you want the users to see that you cannot currently do?

Aruna Malladi April 10, 2014

Apologies Nic for the delayed response. My question is regarding extending the project objects like Project Name ,Project Key and Project Lead(default fields) which are displayed when creating a new project. Attached is the screenshot for reference.

Request to please update the details.

Aruna Malladi June 1, 2014

Nic,I have clearly mentioned my question. Can you please review and suggest to proceed further.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2014

Sorry, missed the previous comment.

If you want to have more fields on that screen specifically, you'll need to hack the core "project create" code to include them and write them back. You are limited to the project fields that Jira has though - on top of those three it's asking for, the others are Category, Description, Project Avatar and URL.

If you want more of these, you need more code. There's a plugin called "Pro Fields" which allows you to add a pile of other fields at a project level (but they still won't be added to that create screen, they're handled by a tab on the project summary/admin screen)

Aruna Malladi June 3, 2014

Thanks Nic for the response, as mentioned I have installed the "Pro Fields" plugin in my Environment and noticed that with this plugin a new field named "Project Fields" is added in the Administration Panel of the Project. Attached is the screenshot for reference. With this fields we can add Project Fields but that are available after creating the Project.

I am looking for provision of adding custom fields when creating a new project itself.Tried for looking to edit the "project create" code in the Server and could not trace it. Can you please let me know which file has to be modified such that I can add new fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2014

I'm lost now. What are you trying to do that pro-fields does not do?

Aruna Malladi June 4, 2014

As mentioned tried to install pro-fields and check if we could add new fields when creating a new project. If not then can I know the process where I can tweak the code for adding the project objects.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2014

No, pro-fields just adds the ability to have fields at a project level.

I'd recommend sticking with the process of "create project with minimal data, then ask project leads to update the pro-fields before they use the project".

If that really isn't going to work for you, then I'm afraid I don't actually know where the simple "add project" screen is located - I avoid changing core code in Jira because it's a nightmare to try to maintain when upgrades happen. If you absolutely have to do this, I'd start with downloading Jira source code and searching it for the soy/vm/jsp that provides that page as a starter, as you're going to need to amend that and then look at the java to get the data from it back into the project.

Aruna Malladi June 4, 2014

Thanks Nic for the update, can you please let me know where can we modify the code for editing the project objects. Request to please update me at the earliest.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2014

I've already told you as much as I know.

Piyush_Annadate February 14, 2017

@Nic Brough, Hey how about creating a field like.. Project key, where we'll check for regular expression and then also checking if that unique... help required will be - coding? Groovy?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2017

I'm not sure what this has to do with the question/discussion

Suggest an answer