Adding geographic information to a ticket on Jira

fmasia June 17, 2014

Hi All,
I'd like to add geographic information to my tickets but I don't know where to start.
My aim is to search for tickets afterwards based on a specific area I select.
Any hint?

2 answers

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

You can write your own custom field that uses javascript geolocation to get the user location of the creator. However there will be a popup that the user will need to agree to, it's not supported in old browsers, and quality of location info can vary when corporate users connect behind proxies.

That will give you a lat/long which you can display by embedding google maps. Searching by location is not that simple... some databases support geospatial indexes. Or you can probably get the country code from javascript.

The issue collector javascript might be a reasonable place to start looking for inspiration.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Idea for P3 plugin!

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2014

Hi Francesco

To be honest, if you would like to include the geographic information to parsed into a JIRA issue, it will gonna need a custom API to do that however currently JIRA does not provide this kind of API itself as you will need to either customize and rewrite it from scratch (which is going to be a very time-consuming/tedios job).

As an alternative, perhaps you can just create a location custom field make it as a required field so that whenever user raised a JIRA issue, they are compulsory to fill up the location field, then later on you may just search based on the location/area field in the issue navigator to sum up all the tickets that you would like to view.

fmasia June 18, 2014

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for your answer. The problem with the alternative solution based on a custom field is that I wouldn't be able to query arbitrary areas though.

amine salhi August 13, 2018

I want to create a location field (google map) in jira, I think it does not exist, how to create it, knowing that I get information from the localization from joomla (CMS), thank you very much

Suggest an answer