Adding estimates in Portfolio - why do they not show as "original estimate" but only as "remaining estimate"?

Saskia Weigand August 4, 2016

I'm rather new to Jira Portfolio, so excuse me if this might be a stupid question.

So, I'm adding new tasks in portfolio and I'm also adding the estimates (hours) in there. When I then take a look at the issue itself it shows those hours as "remaining estimate" only, not a "original estimate".

Is there something I can do to change this or is this maybe a bug?

Thanks so much for your help!

5 answers

0 votes
rnevet June 8, 2020

Still an issue.

Track Remaining Estimates are copied to General Original Estimates...

To correct it Original Estimates need to be manually set.

Dipak Naokar June 8, 2020

@rnevet 

Yes, you are correct. The issues is in existence for almost 4 years.

I really do not see much benefits of using the portfolio ( that recently got a fresh name as "Plan" ). 

I hope that, Altassian team works dowards fixing the issues faced by the customers rather than just giving a new name.

0 votes
Emily Triyonis May 15, 2017

I have learned that Original Estimate will show up in the plan view if you have entered in a value. Then, if you log time against said issue, the Estimate column in plan view will really reflect 'remaining'

0 votes
Rita Lewitt November 2, 2016

I wonder if it is something at the project level and not in portfolio that needs to be changed.  There is an option to change the estimation defaults in the board configuration settings. 

From within your JIRA project (not in portfolio), go to Board button on the top right, and click on Configure.

Then in the menu on the left, click on Estimation.  This provides options to change your defaults around estimations.

If this worked, let us know what you changed in there to make it do what you wanted.

Saskia Weigand November 22, 2016

Hi Rita, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it didn't help.

There is not really anything that you can change there on the board that has any impact on the planning.

Thanks for your help anyway!

0 votes
Dustin Foreman October 28, 2016

We have the same issue... any updates in this?

0 votes
Pierre EK August 18, 2016

I think this is a design issue - hope someone helps on this

Suggest an answer