Adding customers for portal access to OnDemand Service Desk

I am at a loss, as of Service Desk 2.0 it is my understanding that we are supposed to have unlimited number of customers.  Customers are able to submit issues via the customer portal or through email. However, it seems that to be able to access the customer portal you still have to be a part of the jira-users group which then consumes a JIRA license which seems antithetical to saying you may have an unlimited number of customers.  I am hoping that since this change just happened with 2.0 that the documentation is either not up to date or not in existence yet and I am simply unable to figure it out on my own.  Could someone please clarify this for us?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Richie Gee Atlassian Team Oct 06, 2014

You might not have upgraded to the 2.0 pricing model, follow the instruction below to get it available for your instance. Be sure to go through the changes between the pricing models, for example the introduction of the collaborator roles:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ONDEMANDKB/Upgrading+to+JIRA+Service+Desk+2.0+and+moving+to+the+version+2+pricing+model

When in a Service Desk, go to People > Customers, then add your clients there. They will get an email to sign up to your Service Desk. This process does not consume a license like a 'jira-user' does.

Thank you for the response but that doesn't work; it doesn't allow them to log into the customer portal.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,314 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot