Adding custom field to JIRA main issue screen

Richard Jones February 24, 2015

Hi All

I have a reviewer custom field. I would like it to be visible on the main screen you see when reading an issue. I'd like it for all types, (epic, story etc etc)

How can I do this? I cant see a way of adding this custom field to the main screen. Only to the popup screens.

I mean this screen: https://www.atlassian.com/wac/software/fisheye/overview/screenshot-tour/featureItems/0/featureItems/06/imageBinary/fisheye-jira-issue-integration.png

Can I add something to the poeple's section or any other section?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

The "main screen" you mention is the "view" screen.  You can have different view (and edit, and create) screens for different issue types.   The "popups" you see are just different renderings of edit and create.

So all you need to do is make sure your reviewer field is on whatever screen your issue type screen scheme says to use for <issuetype> view.

Hi Nick, thakns for the reply. When I look at the View Screens I see three screens. One is the Default screen which is what I see if I click on edit from the main view screen. The other two are the Resolve and the Workflow screen. These are the default popups I believe. I cannot see where I can add a field to the main VIEW screen. Im looking in Admin->Issues->Screens. I cant see anywhere where it describes what is on the main view screen. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

Sorry, by "view" screen, I mean the screen that Jira uses to look at an issue. You generally can't be sure that you are looking at the right one if you just look at the list of screens, we need to be sure we are looking at the right screen. Look at the project "issuetype screen scheme". This tells a project what "screen scheme" to use for each issue type. Check the issue type we are working with and go to the "screen scheme" for that. This will list what screens are in use for View, Edit and Create (often, you'll find it's "default = screen X", which means use X for all three actions). What screen is in use for "View"? That's the one we need to check for your field. Oh, just as an afterthought - does your field have data in it? Jira won't display it if it is empty.

THanks Nic, I'll check now. The field doesnt contain data. That could be a problem too. I'll configure it to have a default value and then check. The field is a REVIEWER field where some tickets we may want a reviewer and others not. I can default the reviewer to me for the time being

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

JIRA does not show custom fields until they have a value, and does not have the option to do so. Setting a default value will obviously take care of this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2015

Prasad, this has already been answered.

Prasad February 26, 2015

Nic, any reason for penalizing me with negative points for this answer? i'm unable to reach out to bigger audience to get my JIRA queries addressed. System is expecting minimum 25 points for doing knowledge sharing...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2015

Because there is already an answer, repeating it looking for points is not that helpful.

Richard Jones February 26, 2015

Thanks - the key thing here was the default value. i couldn't understand why i couldn't see the field. Adding the default value meant I could see it and easily set up the transitions. Thanks

2 votes
Prasad February 25, 2015

It looks like you created a custom field by name "Reviewer" and didn't map it to a Screen->Screen Scheme-> Issue type screen scheme. If not mapped, please go to Admin>>Issues>>Custom Fields>>Reviewer. Now, go to the extreme right side of this Reviewer item to see a "wheel" icon. Click on it to configure the custom field. Now you click on "Edit Configuration". This will navigate you to "Modify configuration screen context" page. Now choose your "applicable issue type" as Epic/Story/Defect, etc and "applicable context" as 'global' or specific to only set of 'projects'.

Suggest an answer