Adding custom field to Issue Summary

Arianna Fabbri July 6, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to add a custom field value near to the Issue Summary (on the top left of the issue's details page) and I've found the following link explaining how to do that:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA040/Adding+Custom+Field+to+Issue+Summary

Accordingly to that link I was looking for the file issuesummary.vm in the path WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/summary/ but I can't find it.

On our Jira setup (6.1.8), the path WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/summary/ contains only these directories:

field

searchers

table

Where can I find issuesummary.vm file?

Thank you in advance for your help

Arianna

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2014

This is on the old version. In newer versions of JIRA, this has to be done inside a bundled plugin. A similar requirement is explained at http://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/modifying-atlassian-bundled-plugins. Hope it helps.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2014

If it is not too critical, I wouldn't recommend doing it because it is harder to maintain the bundled plugin than editing a velocity template. More pain during upgrades!

Arianna Fabbri July 7, 2014

Hi Jobin,

thank you very much for your answer! I'll try to avoid to make any changes inside the plugin... I agree that it would be hard to be maintained!

Arianna Fabbri July 8, 2014

Hi Jobin,

another question: is the procedure the same if I would like to add a custom field column to the Link panel?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2014

For link panel yes. For subtasks, you can add fields using advanced properties.

Suggest an answer