Adding custom Field context based on Issue Type

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2012

Hi All

I use JIRA 4.4.1 & 4.4.

Need to have different context fot a Custom Field ( Single Select) based on Issue Type. I know this is possible based on Project.

I think it's not available out-of-the-box, any work around ?

Thanks in advance.

Vishnu.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2012
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2012

Thanks Jamie.

But it's not working as we expect.

Situation is ;

I have a custom field, a single select with three values, say A,B and C. This is needed globally in all project for the issue type CR.

Then, I need the same field in issue type RR but the values should be A and B.

I added new context for RR and found it's working good in RR. But mean time when I checked CR, the custom field was not available.

Any idea ?

Like Heather R likes this
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2012

Context works well in most cases but you can't have multiple contexts for the same project. Once a context is created for a project, none of the other contexts are applicable for that project.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2012

You are rigt Jobin. Thats what I exactly face.

1 vote
DN December 18, 2012

Hi Vishnu,

Could you please let me know if a solution was there for this issue faced by you?

I too need to customize jira project with this requirement.

It would be grateful if you could share the solution that helped you resolve this issue.

I tried with the options discussed here but the resolution isnt available still.

Thank you,

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2012

Hi Deepthi

For my requirement, I didn't get any better solution. I fixed this by having two different fields :(.

But, if you need to alter custom field options based on projects, we always have a solution by creating different contexts. From the above comment I hope this is what your requirement is.

Thanks, Vishnu

0 votes
Sergey Papurin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2012

You can hide value by javascript or jquery

0 votes
Pranjal Shukla April 4, 2012

Vishnu, do not associate the field to any project. Rather have a global context and keep it only associated it with issue types. During searching, based on the issue type selected, the appropriate fields shall get populated correctly.

Also, having fields in project context makes system take lot of time during indexing. Try to use issue type as much as u can in contexts, that'll keep your system fast.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 25, 2012

Creation of multiple global contexts are not supported by JIRA.

Suggest an answer