Adding an issue to a specific Epic while in Kanban board view

John Jenkins September 12, 2019

Is there any way to easily add an issue to an Epic from the Kanban board view? I know that I can click on the + icon on the left menu bar to the left of the Kanban board, but that just adds an issue to the project. A specific Epic in the project can't be selected when the issue is created. So if I do that, the issue has to be moved.

Currently I'm choosing "Issues and Filters" in the left menu bar, which takes me off of the Kanban board, then I scroll through all the issues until I find the Epic, select the Epic, and then choose "Create Issue in Epic". 

My Atlassian admin says there used to be a '+' icon at the bottom of the Kanban board. 

Adding a new card/issue is such a basic function of a Kanban board that I assume I have to be missing something...  UX and customer tech support both continue to be a real problem for Atlassian. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

Have your admin update the create/update screen configuration for the issue types you're adding to include the Epic Link field.  

This will allow you to select the epic the issue should be associated with as a child when you create.

Alternately, enable backlog view and epic panel on your kanban board configuration if your version supports it.  Then navigate to backlog view, expand the epic panel, select your epic, then click create issue on the right.  Any issue created will be automatically associated as a child of the epic.

John Jenkins September 12, 2019

Thanks Randy! I've tried out the backlog view & epic panel solution you presented. I think that will work for me. This is a big improvement over what I've been doing!

Like Randy likes this
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

Good to hear.  That view will allow you to drag/drop to shift issues between epics also.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2019

in kanban you can do the following

1. select the issue
  2. type "."
  3. type "e" 
  4. select edit
  5. add epic link (requires that you have the epic link on the edit screen)

not a simple drag/drop but the quickest via the kanban board

Suggest an answer