Adding a new project

Dusanka July 5, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Associating issue types with projects

When I'm trying to add a new  project the first step is to choose "project type"

I always have to choose between offered project type, and later (as Jira administrator ) I have to navigate to the new project and change the issue type schema...when I change I need to delete new issue type schema that is automatically created during the first step of adding a new project.

Is there a possibility to choose defined issue type at the first step of adding a new project?

*when I say defined issue type schema I think about issue type schemas that are created by JIRA administartors in the company I'm working . 

Thanks in advance!!!

All the best,

Dusanka 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2016

The project types are more of a template than an actual type - they make JIRA set all sorts of things up, and set the application the project is for, but don't do anything else.

They are provided by add-ons that tell JIRA what schemes to use or create during project creation.  If you are on JIRA Server, this means you can write project templates as add-ons, install them and use them as well as (or instead of) the existing templates.  Within your templates, you can tell it "re use existing schemes" instead of "create a new scheme for everything".

If you are on Cloud, or don't want to write an add-on for your project types, then I'm afraid all you can do is use the option at the bottom of the box to create projects using shared schemes.  You'll probably still want to do a lot of the config, but at least you can avoid all the deleting if you do that

(You can also turn the templates off if you're happy to disable the add-on modules that provide them.  Atlassian don't recommend that, but it is possible)

Suggest an answer