Adding a custom field to default create issue screen

Tom Anderson November 18, 2014

Hello everyone. I am having issues adding a custom field to the default screen. I have created the field, I have added it to the default create issue screen. At least when I look at it in admin panel it is there. But when I create a new project, the custom field does not appear on the create issue screen. Clearly, I am missing something. I've scanned the documentation and it appears everything is in order, but I must be missing something. Anyone have some pointers?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2014

There's three things a field has to get through to appear

1. You've already added it to the create screen
  2. Check the field configuration scheme (which might be hiding it, but for new fields, the default is to show it, so this is unlikely if you've just added the new field)
  3. Check that the field "context" includes this project and issue type.  Admin -> Custom fields, find it on the list and check it says "global" instead of "just project X, Y and Z"

Thanks for the quick response, Nic. I don't see a create screen in my admin panel. I see a default screen, a resolve issue screen, and screens for each project and type. The field doesn't appear hidden, and context is global.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2014

You said "defualt screen", which, unless you start messing with the "issue type screen schemes" is used for all actions on issues - View, Edit and Create. (The other two default screens, workflow and resolution, are used in the workflow transitions) So you should just add the field to that. If the field config and context are both right, that's the only bit missing

Thanks again, Nic. The field is in the default screen and the Field Configuration section. It does have context as global. My Field Configuration Schemes section is blank. Do I need to add one? This is a brand new JIRA cloud implementation so I haven't changed anything on the admin side except trying to add this field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2014

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Have you added it to the default screen?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2014

When you create a new issue, can you look at "Configure Fields" in the upper right corner and check if you have customized it. Look if your new field is unchecked or click on show all, or use the "Where is my Field" option.

Suggest an answer