Adding Values to Cascading select List

Govardan Krishna March 20, 2013

Hi,

we need to present a list of options to users, while creating an issue.
First they have to select from list A and then List B.
The options in list B are dependent on the values chosen in list A and to achieve this functionality we are using cascading select list, now my question is if we want to update the list, how we do it?

Do we have to go custome fields and manually update options values available?

3 answers

0 votes
Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

Consider using the Insight - Asset management app instead of the out of the box select lists.

All or selected users can be allowed to change / add / remove items (which is called objects in this app) in your select list, and they don't need to be jira admins to keep the lists up to date.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

if you have more options thend store it in any data base and populate with following plugin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.deblauwe.jira.plugin.database-values-plugin

Govardan Krishna March 21, 2013

So you are saying we can get the value options from another database? then we can create some UI or something to update that list in the database?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

but once we migrate project to production, in case if we want to add a new option, then? Only Admin can go to Custome Field and new options?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2013

Yes, only the admin can add more options to the custom field.

Is there any other way that we can maintain this cascade select list?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2013

You can write your own plugin to deal with that, or, use labels, or try the nfeed plugin. Somewhere I put an example of using javascript to retrieve values for a select list from a web service or a plain file using jsonp.

MohammadA April 5, 2014

how to do that. I mean a new plug-in. I tried doing it but it seems jira doesnt support populating select list from plug-in. correct me if I m wrong.

Here is my question -

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/280960/how-to-add-new-values-to-select-list-field-in-jira-dynamically-or-using-plug-in#

Suggest an answer