Adding Users/Groups/Project Roles to a Security Level

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2015

Hi all,

I am sure someone has come across and sorry if it is a repeat, but I am trying to set up security for a project, I edit security levels, but it does not ask me to populate it with users and groups.  When reading this how to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security step 5 says add users and group but it never had anyway box to do that. and I cannot add them later.  I put myself on every permission level I believe.    

How do I add users to a security level?

Probably something obvious but I am lost.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2015

When you're in Administration / Issues / Issue Security Schemes, you will see all security schemes created. 

Click on the one you want to edit, or on Security Levels under Operations.

On that next screen, which lists your security levels, in the right part of the screen next to each security level you've created, under Operations, you will have the Add link. This is how you add groups/users/project roles allowed to see issues with a given security level.

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2015

Thanks @Nicolas Bourdages - Robert had referred to both security levels and permission schemes in his question so I thought I'd get clarification. The only thing I'd want to add to your answer is how applying a security level scheme to a project, if the scheme has a default security level set on it, will reset the date updated on every project issue as the issue's security level is set (this assumes the issues do not already have a security level). And, of course, to be very controlling on who you allow to modify the security level to prevent situations where users are able to hide issues from the JIRA Administrators. -wc

2 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2015

@Robert Nadon -

Quick question (since you mixed the words permission with security level): do you understand the difference between Permissions, Permission Schemes and Security Levels in JIRA?

Assuming that you (or someone else hitting your question later) do not, here's a two paragraph description: Permissions are things like 'Browse Project', 'Assign Issues', 'Edit Issues', or 'Log Work'. Permission Schemes are collections of these permissions, and are different from other scheme types in that you cannot (easily...like, at all) add new permissions to a permission scheme. They come as a set.

Security Level is all about answering one simple question - can the current user see the issue under question. This is determined by checking if they are a member of the security level assigned to the issue under question.

A common use case for setting up security levels for a project is when you have multiple people from different organizations (Read: departments, subsidiaries, external companies, etc) who need to be able to create issues within the same JIRA Project - like a development project with an outsourced component developed by a 3rd party, or an internal HR project used to track the onboarding and especially offboarding of company employees - you don't want Bob the Engineer to find out he's about to be 'offboarded' from a JIRA Ticket.

With this in mind are you having issues with setting up Permissions for a project or setting up Security Level/s for a project?

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2015

Thanks for taking time to answer :). Yes I understand the difference. However if I set up security groups and cannot assign any users or groups to the security groups then No one has permission to see anything. That was what originally happened. I did this before at the previous job but this installation at my new place is a little unstable. How does one add a user/group to a security level? So I want Open and Secure. That's it. I created both SLs and then no one could see any issue no matter what the SL was. Why? There was no way to add any user/group/role to the said SL under this installation. Either Open or Secure.

0 votes
Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2015

Currently at 6.2.12 and trying to upgrade to 6.4.7, but every time I try it crashes. Much bigger issue but different one.

0 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2015

if cloud just say cloud, otherwise the version should appear at the bottom of every page when browsing your jira server

0 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2015

jira version?

Suggest an answer