Adding Tabs to all Atlassian products I use

eKyNoX January 15, 2013

Hello,

The simple idea is I would like integrate all Atlassian products with a modified header which include tabs.

Like here for example : http://tracker.phpbb.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

There's tabs, and each tabs will correspond in the order :

tab1 : Presentation HTML Page

tab2 : JIRA

tab3 : Confluence

tab4 : FishEye

tab5 : phpBB Forum (where users are linked with Crowd, if you have some informations of how to do it)

tab6 : HipChat

tab7 : etc... if any ...

For the moment, the tabs will be only in html / css.

But I plan for the future using ajax to load all the pages within tabs the first time the main page loads and when someone uses links inside a tab, each time someone click on a new tab and then come back to initial tab, no need to reload all the page from start and it will keep history of where the user went in each tab. It will be usefull for Hipchat for example, to not reload the page each time we click on the hipchat tab. I hope it is comprehensible :)

I can plan also doing an addon on the plugin market anyway in the future with that functionalities.

So, any first help modifying headers is needed please.

Thanks .

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeff Lamb January 16, 2013

I wrote a plugin to do this, but it required complete rewrites when upgrading jira sometimes. This isn't fun. This solution works without a plugin:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-20988#comment-431337

eKyNoX January 21, 2013

Thanks a lot, you made the start making tabs, now having tabs for all tools, except Fisheye using iframes. Thanks.

0 votes
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2013

Don't lose your time with that, it's not a good UI pattern, here's why.

That used to be the way Atlassian was publishing their products in OnDemand in 2011. They removed it and replaced it with the far-left menu icon.

• People don't want to navigate from JIRA to the wiki, they want to navigate from one issue to a wiki page.
  • They want to navigate from a JIRA issue to the corresponding builds in Bamboo,
  • There's no 1-1 mapping between a JIRA project, a Fisheye repo, a Confluence space, etc.
  • People use tabs in their browsers to open 3-5 Confluence tabs and 1-3 JIRA issues, so Ajax/iFrames is just like browser tabs.

Besides, you'll have the following problems:

• Integrating tightly with apps is very error-prone. There are many different combinations of UI that you don't suspect yet.
  • There are dozens of developers changing code every day for every app, so the chances are against your odds that pretty much each release breaks your plugin.

The problems you seem to be trying to solve are:

• Discoverability of all the Atlassian apps, so your collaborators start liking them,
  • For each project, having a description page so people know how who's in charge.

You'd better 1. Create a portal, like intranet.mycompany.com, with nice icons to each Atlassian apps and how to request access; 2. Let projects have their own space in Confluence so they can describe what they're about; 3. If anything, tweaks all links about projects in JIRA, Confluence, Fisheye etc to link to their Confluence space, so project members have an incentive to update their welcome page.

0 votes
Daniel R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2013

Hello eKyNoX,

Take a look at this documentation for FishEye/Crucible plugin points:

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/FECRUDEV/FishEye+Web+Item+Locations

Cheers,

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

You can provide a dropdown with links to these application by creating your own plugin .refer this tutorial

Also see refapp

Introducing tabs I believe will be complicated and a pain during upgrades.

eKyNoX January 16, 2013

Thanks for answer. It can be a start making my own plugin.

Is it possible with that solution to place menu in another place (like on the very top head place, by puting tabs menu just next the Jira logo for example ?

Is that works for Confluence and FishEye as well ?

If the new created plugin is installed via plugins manager, it will not be a pain while updating, only if it is manual source file modification I suppose ?

Thanks again.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013
eKyNoX January 16, 2013

Thanks for the link but not good. I can't add a phpBB forum in that tabs system, and a real forum (no community bubbles) is required for us. Also it is impossible actually for us to pay $399 for a tabs system, our company is not yet created, we make no benefits and this will be for a long time before any of each projects we work on gives any benefits, so we can't choose this solution.

Is there any way to modify the header of Jira, Confluence, ... directly ?

And I will try to make a free plugin later.

Suggest an answer