Adding Special Messages in JIRA

Brian Cook September 8, 2013

We're looking to add some functionality to our system that allows us to display a string or an extra field for misc. information when selecting a certain priority level.

An example of this is when a ticket is designated as Critical, a new field or informative area displays describing the nature of that ticket (if its Critical, it could possibly mean anything and we'd like to add further description to that priority level).

I did find some documentation that does support this functionality, but we'd like to have that feature specifically for priority levels without having to add in more fields to our Jira installation.

Please let us know if this is possible or if there's any documentation that describes extending descriptions for priority levels.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2013

If you are comfortable with customizing through Javascript, take a look at this post and the link it refers to: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/40185/how-i-can-hide-a-datepicker-field-according-to-another-field-value

The link it refers to is more generic than this particular instance so it may be more useful.

An additional Answer to look at:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/10896/hi-how-can-i-make-a-custom-field-invisible

Brian Cook September 11, 2013

Thank you for your help.

0 votes

Zulfadli: If there is a "label" that we can add, that works. The label would only need to be displayed if Critical is selected.

0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2013

Your example sounds like you want some on-screen information about what Critical means. Is that right? If so, does hovering over the Critical field and reading the tooltip accomplish that need? Or do you need to have the text on the screen all the time for Critical issues?

Randall: Hovering won't work. I want the "label" to be displayed ONLY in the event that a critical issue is displayed. In summary, if someone selects Critical as the priority, I want to display a phone number that they can call to escalate if necessary, but that's ONLY if Critical is selected.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2013

You mean you wanted to have extra information being included/explained/choosed by a user that select a particular priority level, but you do not want to create additional custom field to store the extra information?

Suggest an answer