Adding New Fields to the Create Issue Page

Matt Fleetham November 27, 2013

I am wanting to add some new mandatory fields onto the Create Issue Page so when issues are being raisd testers can are forced to entered expected results, actual result etc. Can anbody tell me how I can do this?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2013

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens covers everything you need, including adding new fields, putting them on screens and making them mandatory.

However, Jira does NOT support mandatory fields in the way you are probably assuming. If you want a field to be optional for part of the lifecycle, and mandatory later, you have to do that in the workflow, and not with screens.

Example - if you have "test result" - useless when issue is created, developed and under test, but you want the testers to fill it in. You need the field optional in Jira's field definitions. Then you add a "validator" to the "finish testing" transition in workflow to say "user must fill in the test result here"

Suggest an answer