Adding Mail Handler times out, nothing in error log

Alan Bailward July 14, 2015

I'm trying to add a mail handler, and when I hit add it times out with the message:

"The call to the JIRA server did not complete within the timeout period. We are unsure of the result of this operation.

Close this dialog and press refresh in your browser"

Create_a_new_issue_or_add_a_comment_to_an_existing_issue_-_LOTD_and_yo-iphone-v_1_1_—_root_ip-10-220-22-220__opt_atlassian_jira_logs_—_⌘1.png

I've closed the browser, tried a different one (firefox and chrome on mac, all fully up to date).  When creating the handler I can hit 'test' and it works properly, tells me that one message would turn into a bug (which is correct).

Other notes:

• The mailbox (inbox on gmail account) has only one message in it.
  • Nothing shows up in the catalina.out log on our self hosted JIRA instance on AWS

Help! smile

TIA.

2 answers

0 votes
Greg D'Arcy November 8, 2015

Did you find a solution to this problem?

I am having the same issue, and have not been able to resolve it

Please help, if you are able.

Greg.

Alan Bailward November 8, 2015

I did finally fix it by doing the stupidest thing that I hadn't done before.. restarted the Jira server. I'm not sure if that's what actually solved it or not, but the problem went away as soon as I did that, nothing else seemed to work. I assume that maybe some process wasn't running in the background, or a thread was blocked or something like that, and a full restart made it work. Sorry I can't help more.

Greg D'Arcy November 10, 2015

That was help enough! The old reboot, did the trick. You gotta love that - lol Thanks for you help.

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2015

TIA, can you enable the debug mode in the Logging and Profiling screen and check if anything appears in the logs after that?

Andre

Alan Bailward July 14, 2015

Thanks Andre, I didn't know that. I enabled incoming and outgoing mail logging, as well as setting com.atlassian.jira.mail.settings.MailSetting to 'DEBUG'. Still times out and still nothing is displayed in catalina.out (the log mark I set does show up though). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot? Are there logs outside the <install>/logs directory (in our case /opt/atlassian/jira/logs)?

Suggest an answer