Adding Fields to Clone Issue

Topher May 7, 2014

I am looking to add some fields to the clone issue screen. Currently the only field available to modify for the cloned issue is the summary field. I want to add the description field and possibly a custom field to the clone issue screen. For now just adding the description field will be acceptable.

My initial approach was to develop a custom plugin using a webwork action to extend CloneIssueDetails. The problem I ran into with this is that the template files are .jsp files. I do not want to modify JIRA's .jsp files since from what I have read maintenance will become troublesome as these files will need to be updated every time JIRA is updated.

What would be the best approach to go about adding a field to the clone issue screen? Is there a way to accomplish this with a custom plugin without modifying JIRA's .jsp files or is there an alternative solution?

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2014

What about using the Clone Plus plugins - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.jira.clone-plus

Or you need a "free" solution ?

Topher May 8, 2014

I am primarily looking for a free solution, but I will keep that plugin in mind if I cannot find any other viable solution.

loren nebiaj May 26, 2015

Hello @Boris, I need a free solution for this case. We have the summery field which is modifiable but we need to have description field as well. Can you suggest something to me? @christopher, did you find out any free solution? I would appreciate a lot any assistance from you?

Topher May 27, 2015

Hello @loren, The solution we ultimately ended up choosing was one that required a paid plugin. We purchased the JJupin plugin to help with this problem and a few others we were having. What we did was disable the built in clone option and created our own clone as a workflow transition with all of the copying of the fields we needed done in an SIL script. If you are trying to stay with a free solution you might be able to accomplish the same thing with the Script Runner plugin which is another great plugin we use in our JIRA. Just disable the built in clone functionality and create a new workflow transition that does the cloning as a script post-function.

loren nebiaj May 27, 2015

@christopher you are right, but i need a simpler solution. I install the JJupin plug-in for fre but it did not give any affect to my jira issues when i clone those. Does it need any pre installed plugin or package?

Topher May 27, 2015

@Ioren with JJupin installed it will give you access to SIL scripting which you can use to make custom transitions. For the cloning in our instance we added a workflow transition called Clone Issue with an SIL post-function that copied the fields from the transition screen and created a new issue. You will need to write the script yourself but the documentation for SIL provided by the people at Kepler Rominfo is very good and in my opinion is easy to follow.

loren nebiaj May 27, 2015

many thanks @christopher. i will try to find a simpler solution.

keval.doshi January 1, 2019

@Topher thanks for the detailed solution. I want to do the same but when we use it as a transition and edit fields on the screen, these would be changed on the task being cloned too right? This is something which I would want to avoid. Any suggestions on that?

Suggest an answer