• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Adding Buttons like "Create Issue" OR How can I utilize the same "Create Issue" button differently for each project.

Adding Buttons like "Create Issue" OR How can I utilize the same "Create Issue" button differently for each project.

We are in a situation where not every project wants to see same screen layouts, fields, and issue types. We would like to have an option to add more button like "Create issue" or ability to customize the "Create Issue" button such that each project can see different options related to the project.

Thanks, Rama.

4 answers

I agree with Joe. Yes you can accomplish this but it's not advisable. You will have to maintain this moving forward and there's the possibility of this breaking when JIRA decided to change something that you are using. Some teams have done this:

• Add more button like "Create issue" - can be done by updating a VM file in the JIRA package
  • Customize the "Create Issue" button - a simple javascript in the header will do the trick.

Again, these are not encouraged, think about it twice.

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Aug 20, 2015

every project can have its own fields, screens, workflows and issue types. What are you looking to customize that isn't covered by those? You aren't giving enough information to work with.

Perhaps, I'm missing something here or doing it incorrect way. Here are the steps that I am looking for:

• Login to JIRA
  • Click 'Create Issue"
  • Select Project
  • Select Issue Type
  • Then it must bring layout that is specific to that project issue type layout not additional fields etc.

That's already how it works.

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Aug 20, 2015

Sounds like you want to replace the main logon page with a button to logon? What is the point? And then replace the drop downs for the other functions with buttons? You'd have to go in and modify the source code. Not a good idea with COTS products.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

431 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you